Friday, March 06, 2009

Why I covered


Here is a 5 minute bar chart of the past two day sessions in the e-minis. I covered my 2 unit short position at 675.00 (blue arrow). I had two main reasons. First, I had succeeded in turning a sow's ear (losing day) into a silk purse (winning day) and I didn't care to let the market undo a good trade. Secondly, the e-minis had just dropped below the previous day's low at 676.25 and giving us a 25 point range for the first 90 minutes of trading. I thought this was likely to be it on the downside for a while, especially because the market has been dropping relentlessly for a month.

I had two other reasons for covering. There was a modest volume climax (red arrows) as the market reached yesterday's low. The very next bar dropped the market a little lower on slightly reduced volume. The sort of action near obvious support or resistance often indicates the temporary end of a swing. Another factor in my decision was the observation that the first period of big activity and swings during any trading day typically ends between 90 minutes and 2 hours after the day session open. I covered at the 90 minute point.

I still think that we shall see the 665 level today, but I think the market will rally first. The purple dotted line is midpoint resistance and I expect to be a seller near there later today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice! Carl.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say this but you are on fire!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us.

Anonymous said...

King Carl! Do you still think we hit 665?