Thursday, April 16, 2009

Range Estimate


Here is a five minute bar chart of e-mini day session trading. I am sticking with my range estimate of 843-868 (blue rectangle).

I went long at 852.75 because I was bullish on the day and I know that up days usually make their low points not far from the open - generally less than 6 points lower. I also had yesterday's close at 849 as support. So after seeing the open it was no longer logical to expect a move as low as 843, at least not early in the day.

In the event the market was much weaker than I expected. So far the drop from its high today near the open has nearly matched the last reaction on the way up from yesterday's low (purple rectangles). The market dropped almost 9 points from its opening price and three points below yesterday's close. This is unusual behavior for an up day, but I am still willing to lean on my 843 estimate for today's low point. I expect to put my second unit back on near that level if the opportunity presents itself.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it looks like double top. short under 840

HEDGE TREND said...

SPY 869-870 will be the target.

KBSC said...

Hello again Carl.

I have read through your BLOG extensively. I really like the 'EDGE' idea. I am an ES scalper who uses a variation (now that I know what Darvas is) of Darvas. I wanted to see your thoughts on these DARVAS counts on the bottom of this link.....if its something like yours ?
http://www.gerryco.com/tech/darvas.html

HEDGE TREND said...

As l posted, SPY reached my target 869-870. I am out of ES with a healthy profit. Good luck to you, Carl.

HEDGE TREND said...

Wait until tomorrow. Too dangerous to short any stocks now.