Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The last trade


In my previous post I said that once I had evidence the reaction has ended I would get long. That evidence came around 3:25 pm after the market had rallied above the 725 level. So I bought one unit at 726.00 (first green arrow). Here was my thinking.

I was looking for a move to 740. The market had rallied quickly from its 713.25 reaction low and had moved above the top (at 723.50 - red dashed line) of the last rally on the way down to 713.25 - this is what convinced me that the reaction had ended at 713.25. There was only 30 minutes left in the day session, and I thought that the market didn't have enough time to hurt me before I could react, so the downside was limited by the proximity of the close. On the other hand, I think the short term trend is upward, and in such circumstances I know that there is always a good chance that a lot of buyers would show up near the close - and in this case push the market to new highs for the day. So I was risking a few points against the possibility of 10 or more.

In the event the market struggled after I got long. At 3:45 I hadn't seen any good volume buying and I began to think that the buyers weren't coming to my party. So I got out at 726.25 (second green arrow).

As luck would have it, the market started to break just after I sold my unit. But luck really didn't have much to do with it. As I often say, what the market fails to do is usually more significant than what it does do. This was a case in point.

4 comments:

pimaCanyon said...

congrats on two great trades today, Carl!

Anonymous said...

Carl,
thank you for the day! Nice to see how you stick with your plan! Val

PM said...

Hi Carl,

Very excellent trading!!!

I just went short at 721.50. I think this is very risky, but I think we'll test 700ish or lower once more.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,

PM

PM said...

Hi Carl,

I decided to cover my short and go long once again at 715.00 right now, we should be very close to a bottom of sorts.