Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Too Much of a Good Thing

Here is a five minute bar chart of the e-mini day sessions of the past two days. My projected range for today is 715-740 (blue rectangle). I went long at the first green arrow because the market had reacted about 10 points from its overnight high and reactions on the way up have been running 8-10 points. I didn't wait for the 715 level for that reason and also because we opened at 725 - the 715 level would represent a 10 point drop from the open and that would have been a bearish indication.

The market rallied quickly thereafter. At the point where it had rallied back to its overnight high at 730 it put in a high volume up bar (first pair of red arrows). This put me on alert because the market was at a minor resistance level and within 10 points of my projected high for the day which I expected to be reach later today. When the next bar made a new high on reduced volume (second pair of red arrows) I decided not to tempt fate and sold my long position. This combination of a high volume bar near resistance and then a lower volume continuation usually means that a reaction is imminent.

I now see support at the midpoint of the reaction from the open - roughly the 721 level. I also think the market will make it pretty close to 740 later today.

3 comments:

rc said...

Carl..........your work continues to amaze me. Nice going and thanks so much.

Ron

Anonymous said...

I bet we see 705 before we see 740

rc said...

Carl..........you stated that you now see support at the midpoint from the reaction from the open, roughly 721. If you have a comment I am trying to see just how you got 721. Interestingly it seems you may have called it quite acurately.

Thanks,
Ron