Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Comments on Comments

Oh dear, where to begin?

First of all, I want to remind all my readers that what you see on this blog is only a small fraction of my market activities. I am not new to "day trading" as some of you seem to think, but recent volatility has made it imperative to go with the intraday swings until things settle down. So I put my day trades on this blog in an effort to be helpful to you. 

But I also trade in multi-day, multi-week, and multi-month time frames depending on the opportunities available and the time I have to devote to monitoring the markets. I have not abandoned my longer term bullish views as some of you seem to think. In fact I think this market is a screaming buy right now for anyone with a holding period of more than one month. My Lindsay studies have not been abandoned, but for the moment I don't see how they add value to the views I have already clearly expressed.

One thing that has changed in this blog is the frequency of graphics and charts.  I just don't have the time to post charts with my posts. Given the choice between more posts but with few charts, and fewer posts with more charts, I chose to go the "more posts, fewer charts" route.

Those of you who aren't sure about the value of my posts regarding newspaper headlines and magazine covers are invited to take a look at all my contrary opinion posts which are indexed here

I think the general tenor of the comments on this blog, including some which I have refused to publish, has been sufficiently negative to indicate that a big, big rally is imminent.

20 comments:

thesixthmoon said...

Carl, thanks for putting your stuff out there for everyone to see in real time.

Not too many have the guts to do that.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking this morning how much more useful I've found your blog over the last couple of weeks, coincident with your more frequent posts.

Eric

sandy allred said...

As CBS communications VP Gil Schwarz recently stated, 'old media fuels the content pipeline for new media'. In other words, there is nothing new under the sun. History demands a massive rise in the equity markets in which there will be very few participants during the early stage.

Pantani said...

Carl, I casn see that blogging can be a thankless task at times. So, in an effort to balance the comments you are receiving: I, for one, find your intra-day blog extremely helpful and am grateful that you take the time to post in such volatile markets. Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

The scenario I favor is a dip below 1160 later today and then rally into the close to end unch of small +

Stage 2 will be a strong rally overnight with a give back ahead of NYSE open

That I think will set us up for a powerful rally.

Anonymous said...

Its a pleasure and a learning experience for me to read your blog.

I am still going through the archives to learn your approach to the markets.

thanks again,
Solrac

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl,

I have always found your blog very useful. I read it everyday. I appreciate the good work you do, and have donated in the past, and will do so again in the future.

Regards,
-FK

Anonymous said...

I agree with Carl....
I am short 1180 sep ES puts and long some futures from 1176.50

cheers
Susn

Craig Severson said...

Carl-

long time reader and first time commenter. You've been my "silent friend" over the years, who always answers the question "well, what do YOU think, Carl?". I do everything that I can to ignore the mainstream stock media so you're one of the dudes that I go to for a second opinion for my own projections. Keep it up.

rcks said...

Carl I appreciate all of your posts, they have been very timely IMO.
Here is a post from I-Hub where I post, that points out that all of the recent major turns in trend have occurred in and around Option Expiration week.
I think like you in that I think we are very close to a bottom.
Keep up the great work.
steve

Anonymous said...

ditto optionslinebacker

rcks said...

Carl I forgot to link to my post on my recent post but here it for you to see if you like.

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=32200322

Anonymous said...

Carl are you saying you bought the market this morning and you are long the market in your long term account but not day trading account since you have multiple time frames and more then a month? can you clarify please... What are your current positions?

Anonymous said...

However all the people who have been bearish and continued to post bearish comments have been right - for the last 100 points on the spx and the last 250 points. It is still nearer 1150 than 1500 for that wine bet made around 1310.
Personally I see a rise for another 20 or so point, some consolidation and another new lower low. Catherine
I expect the vix to getabove 40 more this move is finished.

Swing trader said...

Hi Carl,
I ,too, wanted to express my appreciation for your posts. Not too many people have the guts to display their thoughts during these tumultuous times.

Best Regards,
Swing trader

Carl Futia said...

Actually, the wine bet was made with the S&P at 1230. Edwardo bets that the S&P will hit 1080 before it hits 1380, and I am on the opposite side.

Anonymous said...

I've been visiting the site for a weel...soo I don;t know how it was before. But I have found it really interesting and helpfull (I even cloned two of your trades).

Soo thanks Carl !

Alex

Win said...

Carl,
Timely, cogent clarification. I was going to pop in yesterday to say "how do you know that Carl has only just begun day trading?" But I decided to let you do it.

I do think that we will see some more down activity in the next 2-4 days. Waiting for 5 MA on the Put Call ratio to cross 1.3. Some astrology folks seem to think Friday will be a bottom. Curious to hear Joe's/others views on that.

Anonymous said...

Man these comments aren't nearly bearish enough to signal a bottom. Everyone is thanking you for your work, while last time, everyone was calling you an idiot. What gives???

Unknown said...

Carl, your blog rocks, and has helped me to become a better trader for sure. Ignore the haters and keep up the great work!!!