Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Predicting the Past

Will Rogers was a famous American humorist, born in 1879 and died in 1935. He was once asked how to make a lot of money in the stock market. He replied:

"Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it 'till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. "

I love this quotation because it reminds me of the forecasting methods of astrologers and stock market analysts. They can always explain to you why some disaster happened or why some stock went up or why the stock market bubble collapsed in 2000. They like to predict the past and some of them are even good at it!

Sad to say, a speculator cannot make money predicting the past. He must bet on future events. The future is always murky and very uncertain, and this usually is reflected in the advice you will get from astrologers and stock analysts. They hedge and tell you "maybe this will happen or maybe that will happen".

In this blog I try only to predict the future, not the past. Sure, I make my share of mistakes. But you always know where I stand and this is the only way my views can be of value to you.

No comments: