Monday, June 01, 2009

The situation at 1030 am

Here is a five minute chart of today's e-mini day session. The market has rallied to within a point of the January 6, 2009 high at 942.75 (basis March '09 contract) (higher dashed red line). I though this would be the high of the day, but the market showed strength right from the open. So I am revising my range estimate to 930-950 (blue rectangle).

However, I think a brief reaction is underway, partly because the market has rallied to an old top and partly because I see a minor buying climax on news (red arrows). A reaction as big as the last two on the way up would be 10-12 points (purple rectangle) and would bring the market down to the day session low near 930. The May 8 top at 929.50 (electronic trading only) is another reason to expect support near 930.

Looking further ahead I think we shall see the e-minis rally to 979, the midpoint between the 666 low and the 1291 high in mid-September of 2009. As you know I think the rally from the March low is the first leg of a bull market. It is not unusual to see a first leg carry the market up 50% or more from its bear market low. A 50% move in this case would put the S&P at 1000. So the rally is getting closer and closer to a normal stopping point, but I don't think we are there yet. One clue - today's volume has so far been quite moderate, no sign of a buying climax on a daily bar basis. I think we shall see at least one such buying climax before this initial move off of the 666 low is complete.

4 comments:

Ruli said...

Carl, why aren't you participating in this rally, I've seen you buy gap up before why not today?

Carl Futia said...

OK, I'll refund your subscription payment...... Oh wait, this is a free blog! I make 90% per year and you pay me nothing for my services!! I guess that really does make me a jerk.

Maxwell said...

Wow, never seen such a comment from Carl. All, I have to say is, if you want me to donate, let me know, I'm game. Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Kelly Blaine said...

Without doubt....this site is one of the best, if not the best places for objective, rules based trading.

Your work is greatly appreciated Carl !!