Thursday, March 12, 2009

An (unposted) comment from a loser

I just deleted a comment from one of the losers who lurk around this blog. I mention this only because the comment itself provides a teachable moment.

This idiot said that I must be kicking myself for missing the rally from my exit point at 725 this morning. This is classic thinking by a loser.

Every professional knows that perfection in trading and market foresight is impossible. To measure one's results against the standard of perfection is worse than stupid - it is deadly. The reason? Since perfection (or anything close to it) is impossible, you will always be unhappy with your results, whether you are making good money or not. Do this for any length of time and you won't be in the business anymore.

So good traders and investors have reasonable expectations for their performance. They understand what is possible and what is not possible. They are determined to be satisfied with achieving the possible. And they leave the quest for the impossible to the losers.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are doing a very good job. Every successful person will face such stupid talk from loosers, ignore them and enjoy your following from other grateful admirers

PM said...

Hi Carl,

Very well said, and this is also a great lesson that we traders must also remember to avoid beating ourselves up over a missed opportunity.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,

PM

Anonymous said...

100% Agree with you.

Doug said...

That's an important lesson to share Carl - thanks!

Congrats on another nice trade sequence too.

Anonymous said...

Don't let them get under your skin Carl. There are plenty of folks out here tuned into your feed, looking forward to your next post. This is the first time I've posted a comment here as I'm not much of a commenter on blogs. Appreciate your analysis and enjoy following along with your work in the markets.

Unknown said...

The poster was probably short the market and very frustrated!

I have recently found your website and your trading ideas have added measurably to my own. I appreciate your time and effort to share your thoughts and look forward to reading you daily.

Best wishes!

Elliot said...

Easy to say, hard to do. Simply put, that perfectionist thinking you describe cost me my trading career.

You are not measured by what you think or say, rather than what you do, and you live by your words. We all know people who always buy at the exact bottom and sell at the exact top- they are called liars, and we all know some.

Anonymous said...

"I rather be wishing I was in a trade! then being in and wishing I was out !
R

Anonymous said...

Carl
I've been avid follower of your blog for over a year; I've learned a great deal.
Those who are too lazy to learn will always come up with nasty remarks to compenstate from real effort. They were likely lazy in school and now in life.

Keep it up, your work restores faith.

Brent

Anonymous said...

How true..How true...You're doing excellent with your methodology. If I were you I would not change a thing about it. I appreciate your expertise and market insight..helping the "little guy" to learn and to endeavor to profit in the market..Many thanks and kind regards, Janet

Anonymous said...

Can’t fly with Eagles if you hang around with Turkeys why bother to address those fools..

Anonymous said...

Carl
you couldnt have said it better
how ever i would add no need to add a negative tone to it .
i strive for perfection and accept
what i get . that is the best we can all do . you are correct that perfection is impossible no matter how much we try .

Anonymous said...

Carl :

It is very easy to comment on someone else blog than to have a blog.

You are doing an amazing job and keep up the good work.

This is a great post.

Thanks
Ram

Anonymous said...

"Do not let perfection be the enemy of the good" is a ithy maxim which has direct relevance here.